Monday, March 16, 2020

Day 1: COVID-19

This is Day 1 of the COVID-19 "break".  We did report to work today, just teachers, although I am not sure if it counts as a day of work.  We picked up chromebooks and cleared our belongings from school.  I don't know if the chromebook pick-up is an attempt to meet digital learning requirements. 

This break is looking more and more like "the end" of the school year.  However, I believe most are still working on the two weeks assumption.  I believe tomorrow we will be tasked with creating digital school and basically reporting to work at home each day.

So far I have read Isaac's Storm and have started The British Are Coming.  Isaac's Storm is about the great hurricane in Galveston in 1900 and definitely had echos of what is happening today (lack of technology, poor forecasting, bickering leadership, etc...).

At home today our schedule was:
11:00: Chores
12:30-1:30: Family Reading
2pm: Art Class
4pm: Workout (girls ran 2 miles--I walked).
730pm: Met Opera

I do not what the teaching will bring.  It is a much different task to create activities to return on April 1 than to return on June 1 (or Sept 1).  For example, do we work on current band music?  Do we switch to more of a music theory or music listening class?  If students do not tune in who is my audience? 

I do expect to be doing some track coaching (if we can leave the house, staying 6 feet apart) and posting lots of videos with the girls (ukulele, piano, etc...).  I also hope to eat right, exercise, and read a ton.

Everything has been changing rapidly.  For the moment everyone I know is healthy so I think nothing else really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment