Hip Hop Project Notes:
It is almost June! It feels like yesterday we arrived in class. I would like to start your final project today. ALL of these assignments require a lot of work.
You have five choices:
Create our textbook for the next school year. This textbook will be published and available for download all over the world. Create a team to write, edit, and publish this book.
- We will use Lulu as our publishing platform.
- Books have rules. You must use citations, have a title page, and follow Lulu’s rules for formatting. You must design a cover, set a price, etc...
- Remember what the textbook is for! It needs to be an aide for the students.
Using soundcloud create a hip hop album of your rhymes. This will be YOUR album, but you can recruit people to help you on it (they won’t receive a grade).
- I’ve talked about finding your voice. What do you have to say?
- Keep it PG rated. Avoid the 7 bad swear words.
- Improve your soundcloud profile. Can you get subscribers to your feed?
- This album must include at least 5 minutes of music/rhyme (thats a lot...).
Perhaps you want to dive deep into a question about hip hop. Please write a traditional research paper that includes all standard formatting. Your paper must include citations and be at least six pages long. This will require serious research. Your paper must answer one of the following questions:
- How did the Los Angeles riots of 1992 change the course of hip hop?
- Why are most hip hop stars male?
- Does hip hop have a love/hate relationship with gangsters?
Create a “how to” channel on youTube. Post professional looking videos on any hip hop topic. You should post at least three videos of at least 2 minutes in length. These videos could be about creating beats, rhyming, dance, or other hip hop related topics. You can work in a team of 2 or 3 for this, but it must be clear to me who is doing what task.
- Think hard about creating a professional look. What will be the setting/studio for your video?
- How can your audience feel welcome and encouraged to participate?
5. Create a Hip Hop Magazine
Do you feel you are a hip hop expert? Create a Hip Hop brand (like Vibe) where you write and curate information about the state of hip hop. Can you create a brand that gains followers and is up-to-the-minute about hip hop? Your brand must include the following:
- Podcasts using soundcloud.
- A Flipboard
It could include:
- Social media (twitter, tumblr, etc...)
6. Something Else
Is there a project that you feel passionate about that isn’t listed here? Can you do it? Yes! It must be awesome in order to be approved. Go for it!
This is the basic school Rubric I will use to evaluate your project.