Friday, February 1, 2013

iPad and Technology Workflow in Music Class

Here is our current set-up:

I have one three year old macBook that syncs all the iPads.  We have 14 iPad1 and 5 iPad2.  We keep them in a charging safe.  We have various microphone, Jamhub, and iRig accessories.

I wish wifi iTunes sync would work.  But it really doesn't.  So every two months or so I shut down for a day and make sure all the iPads are backed up and apps are up to date.

I use Google Docs and Google Forms extensively in al my classes.  This is a just a sample of the tools we use:

Choir uses the iPads to access our choir page on Google Sites.  I use noteflight and youtube to create practice tapes.  One app we use is the Six Strings app.  For example, on Monday the class will be assigned "I'm Yours" and "No Woman No Cry".  They will need to perform it using the Six String app and singing along.  The app works great.

Band uses garageband more than choir does.  One assignment I have done is asking them to create an 8 measure composition based on the Bb major scale.  Adding a drum beat, background guitar (what chords should you use?) and then recording themselves using the microphone.

Music Theory uses garageband more extensively.  Today I asked them to create an 8 measure "soundtrack" to a family picture of mine.  They could choose the picture.  Another app we use is madpad.  We used madPad at our Winter Concert to demonstrate form (ABA).  Now we can access noteflight on the iPad!! I use noteflight studio so each student has an account.  I have finale, but I haven't used it in a long, long time.

HipHop for the DJing and MCing aspect of this class I will use Evernote, DJay, Garageband, and soundcloud.  I will share notes with students using Evernote and they will submit their work through Evernote (writing, audio, images) and Soundcloud (publishing/public).  They will create their mixes and beats using DJay and Garageband.

We use youTube most of all....

Big hopes for smartmusic on the iPad.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment