Chris Russell wrote this response.
Amy Burns wrote this response.
All of the above are smarter than me. I have a bit of trouble writing still, so bear with me...
In general I completely agree with Jim. There is a lot of wasted technology going into iPad programs. I waste a ton of time. I haven't wasted a ton of money, but I spend a LOT of time making mistakes.
Why I hate the iPads:
1. They take forever to update, sync, maintain, count, lock-up, charge, clean.
2. In general, nobody cares. If they didn't care about music before, they still won't care when you have iPads.
3. Most people don't get it. I'm always explaining. I wish people would visit.
4. Its really, really hard to stay "innovative" and think of new projects that will get funding. Especially now that iPads are everywhere.
5. iPads/Apple do not fit in with the school or grant budget cycle. Nobody had iPad mini on their horizon 12 months ago when they were writing this years budget.
Why I like the iPads:
1. I could never, never do most of the things I do in class. I can't bring my band to the computer lab to record/compose 8 measure songs. I can't tell the sopranos "watch the youTube video" of their part while I work with the altos. I can't pass a desktop to a Downs Syndrome kid so he can create drawings of our sound while the band plays.
2. I never teach software.
3. I get to do stuff like this: