1. Creating a youTube "Favorites" playlist.
- Sign in to youtube using your google/youtube account. If you do not have an account (most of you do) then create one. Remember to sign out at end of class!!!!
- Create a playlist called "Hip-Hop Favorites". To create a new playlist click the share button on the video and "Create New Playlist". Once you create playlist you will use same button to just add videos to it.
- You can only include TEN videos in playlist. These will be your TEN FAVORITE hip hop songs. Not nine, not eight, not eleven. Ten.
- Try to include songs that are creative enough that they aren't one long swear word marathon.
- Share playlist with class through Edmodo.
- Sign out of youtube!!
2. Create a flow chart of one of the following classic hip-hop tunes. Most of you will use pencil/paper to do this. Some of these are LONG. You don't have to flow chart the entire song. Check with me as you create. Its fine to work with a partner as long as you both work.
- "Rapper's Delight" - Sugar Hill Gang
- "The Message" - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
- "Wild Wild West" - Kool Moe Dee
- "Fight for Your Rght" - Beastie Boys
- "Can I Kick It?" - A Tribe Called Quest
- "King of Rock" - Run DMC
3. Watch one of the following hip hop movies. Please realize there are some "bad words" in these movies. When done write a short reflection about the movie in an edmodo note to the class.
- "Style Wars". This is a very important documentary. You will see a lot of important artists when they were very young. It was made in 1982 so the styles are different. You will learn a lot about teenagers and their music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynCdOL5cEE
- "Scratch". Documentary about early hip hop history and DJing. Some of these people became very famous, some are "behind the scenes". Hip hop started with DJs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj1r6u8zLPo&list=PLF402F5CD509B806E&index=1
- "The Art of the 16 Bars". This movie is more for the hard core. It is easy to follow but they go deep into the art of the rhyme and analysis of the MC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY1AGiTERG0
Optional/Choice (must do at least one):
1. Add a rhyme to your soundcloud account.
2. Create a graffiti tag portfolio using the iPad and your evernote account.
3. Make a "how to" video to post to youtube of one of the following:
- Hip hop dance moves.
- How to draw your name hip hop style.
- How to use garageband to create a recording.