Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Professional Development

I had a great professional development day at Western CT State University.  I have known the professors there for some time.  They are definitely people I like to work with.

I sat in three reading sessions.  One for young band music, one for grades 3-5 band music and one for jazz band (level 4-5).  I haven't played this much in a long time.  I haven't played in a band like this for awhile either.  It was a lot of fun.

I also got to sing in Kevin Isaacs choral workshop.  It had about 60 teachers in the room.  It was nice to sightread 4 part music and with adult voices.

Professional development should be like this.  I'm wondering what other teaching discipline (K-12) does stuff like this?  I know university educators need to research/publish, but I'm not sure K-12 educators demonstrate/practice their subject enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment