I believe community based decisions are central to any curriculum. What do you believe a high school graduate should be able to do? I have several ideas and would love to hear from you.
A high school graduate should be able to:
- Sing in tune. When the birthday cake comes out the singing should sound good.
- Have a coherent conversation about music. They should be able to go to a symphony concert and talk to the doctors, lawyers, and politicians about what they heard.
- Sing songs to their children when they are born.
- Choose appropriate music for weddings/funerals/etc...
- Dance effectively. Understand the connection between dance and music.
- Have fun. Stop worrying - get up and sing.
If this happens then I think the more music teacher specific language takes care of itself. Could we set up a curriculum that meets these goals?